The Library's Mission
The Library builds community and transforms lives by
connecting people, ideas, and opportunities.
The Library is the community’s trusted partner for growth and connection. Access to information and inspiration fuels a thriving community and individual achievement.
The Library provides quality public library service to the residents of Dauphin County through 8 library locations, a website and a 24 hour automated phone line. The Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 501(c)(3) status. It is governed by a 17-member Board of Trustees, five appointed annually by the Dauphin County Commissioners, and twelve elected for three-year terms.
Strategic Plan 2020-2022 Overview
How can we do better?
Click here to let us know.
Diversity & Inclusion:
Everyone is welcome here.
We’re committed to:
- • Respecting the uniqueness of each individual
- • Serving with kindness
- • Upholding human dignity
- • Communicating openly and often
- • Promoting access to information
- • Encouraging the exploration of ideas and viewpoints
- • Reﬂecting our diverse community through services
- • Eliminating barriers
- • Supporting active minds and open hearts
We're committed to:
- Upholding the principle of free speech and to opposing the restriction or suppression of ideas, information, or artistic expression;
- Serving all people, regardless of age, race, religion, gender, physical ability or economic status;
- Providing free basic services to all and making prudent decisions about those services;
- Being fully accountable for all funds we receive;
- Promoting a lifelong love of learning.
The Dauphin County Library System serves as one of 29 District Library Centers designated by the Office of Commonwealth Libraries to take a leadership role in coordinating library services. The Library and its participating public libraries form the Capital Area Library District, a service area with 22 public library facilities and 2 administrative offices in Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry counties.
The Library offers the following services:
- More than 351,234 books, magazines, DVDs, videos and other items available for borrowing through the automated catalog.
- Knowledgeable staff to answer your questions.
- Author appearances, storytimes, workshops and other events.
The Library's 990 Public Inspection - 2020
The Library's Audit Report - 2019
>> More about Supporting the Library