The Dauphin County Library System strengthens the community by promoting literacy and providing resources and services for information, education, and recreation.
The Library provides quality public library service to the residents of Dauphin County through 8 library locations, a website and a 24 hour automated phone line. DCLS is a private, non-profit corporation with 501 (c)(3) status. It is governed by a 17-member Board of Trustees, five appointed annually by the Dauphin County Commissioners, and twelve elected for three-year terms.
Here's What You Get ...
The Dauphin County Library System
- Serves the information needs of Dauphin County citizens with a dedicated staff of skilled and knowledgeable library employees;
- Is the bridge that unites available, affordable, and accessible information with a widely diverse community; seeks opportunities to meld traditional library services with new technologies;
- Is the information place, working hand-in-hand with other agencies to provide access to the information that is integral to the well-being of our community.
The Dauphin County Library System is committed to:
- Upholding the principle of free speech and to opposing the restriction or suppression of ideas, information, or artistic expression;
- Serving all people, regardless of age, race, religion, gender, physical ability or economic status;
- Providing free basic services to all and making prudent decisions about those services;
- Being fully accountable for all funds we receive;
- Promoting a lifelong love of learning.
The Dauphin County Library System serves as one of 29 District Library Centers designated by the Office of Commonwealth Libraries to take a leadership role in coordinating library services. DCLS and its participating public libraries form the Capital Area Library District, a service area with 22 public library facilities and 2 administrative offices in Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry counties.
Services Available at DCLS:
- More than 351,234 books, magazines, DVDs, videos and other items available for borrowing through the automated catalog.
- Knowledgeable staff to answer your questions.
- Author appearances, storytimes, workshops and other events.