Haly Award Winners of the Past
The Sara Haldeman Haly Awards
In 1896, Sara Haldeman Haly made a gift to our community that still serves as a beacon of learning today. In her will, she provided the funds needed to establish a public library for Harrisburg, something that had been attempted twice before without lasting success. Four years later her estate’s executors honored her vision by donating the plot of land at Front and Walnut streets that had been Sara’s garden for the building of a new library in her memory. Opened on January 1, 1914, the building has been in continuous operation as a library ever since. Over the years, many people have picked up the torch lit by Sara and have expanded her little garden into a library system that now serves more than 221,000 residents of Dauphin County. These awards were established in Sara’s name to honor those who give of their time, energy and resources to make learning available to everyone.